Grey & White Oyster Mushroom
Pleurotus ostreatus (Oyster mushroom);
Pleurotus sajor-caju (Grey oyster mushroom);
Pleurotus florida (White oyster mushroom)
(1) Grows in shelf-like clusters
(2) Cap: 4-15cm broad, convex to planar, kidney-shaped or fan-shaped, pale brown to dark brown
(3) White gills
(4) Stubby, nearly absent stem
(5) Whitish to lilac spore print (Kuo, M. 2005)
(1) 15 – 35% protein content (equivalent to an egg or 1/3 of meats)
(2) Vitamins: Vit. C, Vit. B, Niacin
(3) Free amino acids
(1) Lowers lipid concentrations (Hossain et al., 2003)
(2) Lowers blood glucose levels (Khatun et al., 2007)
(3) Antioxidant effect to prevent aging of major body organs (Jayakumar, Thomas & Geraldine, 2007); eg. liver (Jayakumar, Ramesh and Geraldine, 2006)
(4) Prevents proliferation of tumor cells; eg. prostate cancer (Gu & Sivam, 2006)
(5) Presence of lectin to prevent cancer in the connective tissues (sarcoma) and liver (hepatoma) (Wang, Gao, & Ng, 2000)
NOTE : Mushroom is not intended to use as a medicine to treat any illnesses. It is only recommended as food supplement for general health.
(1) Kuo, M. (2005, February). Pleurotus ostreatus: The oyster mushroom. Retrieved from the MushroomExpert.Com Web site:http://www.mushroomexpert.com/pleurotus_ostreatus.html
(2) Gu, Y. H. and Sivam, G. (2006) Cytotoxic effect of oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus on human androgen-independent prostate cancer PC-3 cells. Journal of Medicinal Food 9(2): 196-204.
(3) Hossain, S., Hashimoto, M., Choudhury, E. K., Alam, N., Hussain, S., Hasan, M., Choudhury, S. K.,and Mahmud, I. (2003) Dietary mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) ameliorates atherogenic lipid in hypercholesterolaemic rats. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology 30(7): 470-475.
(4) Jayakumar, T., Ramesh, E., and Geraldine, P. (2006) Antioxidant activity of the oyster mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus, on CCl4- induced liver injury in rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology 44: 1989-1996.
(5) Jayakumar, T., Thomas, P. A., and Geraldine, P. (2007) Protective effect of an extract of the oyster mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus, on antioxidants of major organs of aged rats. Experimental Gerontology 42: 183-191.
(6) Khatun, K., Mahtab, H., Khanam, P. A., Sayeed, M. A. and Khan, K. A. (2007) Oyster mushroom reduced blood glucose and cholesterol in diabetic subjects.Mymensingh Medical Journal 16(1): 94-99.
(7) Wang, H., Gao, J., and Ng, T. B. (2000) A new lectin with highly potent antihepatoma and antisarcoma activities from the oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 275: 810-816.